Home-made French Onion Dip is well worth the effort. It is delicious and will work with home-made potato chips, vegetable sticks, baguette, or other chips.
Home-made French Onion Dip
- 2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Medium Vidalia Onions, finely chopped
- 2 Garlic cloves, minced
- 3-4 Springs of Thyme, use fresh if possible
- 1 cup Sour Cream
- 2-4 oz Cream Cheese, room temperature
- 1 small Shallot, finely chopped
- ¼ cup Chives, finely chopped
- 1 tsp Worchester Sauce, to taste
- 1 dash Honey, to taste
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in skillet and cook onions, garlic and thyme sprigs until onion is deep golden brown, about 30+ minutes.
- Watch carefully as burning the onions ruins the recipe. Stir frequently.
- Remove the thyme sprigs.
- Mix the onions/garlic, shallot, chives, lemon juice, Worchester sauce, honey, salt and pepper.
- Let sit for at least 30 minutes, better yet for a few hours, in the refrigerator for the flavors to meld.
- Use with your favorite dipping chips … such as prefer potato chips.