In making the Puerto Rican Pasteles I was intrigued as to what dishes are traditionally used as side dishes when serving the pasteles. This dish is delicious and makes a great side for any meal. The rice is savory and vegetarian. this recipe works extremely well with cooked in a rice cooker. I recenly purchased a high end rice cooker, for all the rice I cook and eat it was a worthwhile expense. In the recipe below I discuss cooking the rice in both a pot and in the cooker. Since this rice dish is frequently mentioned as a side for pasteles, I put the recipe here and linked to the pasteles blog as well.
Puerto Rican Vegetarian Rice
- 1 Zojirushi rice cooker
- ¼ cup EVOO
- 1 cup Sofrito (home made)
- 15 ouncea Green Pigeon Peas
- ¼ cup Green olives, pitted and sliced
- ¼ cup Kalamata Olives pitted and sliced
- ¼ cup Roasted Red Peppers
- ⅓ cup Tomato Sauce Cento Tomato sauce
- 2 tsp Adobo Seasoning
- 2 tsp Garlic powder
- 1½ tsp Sea Salt
- 1½ tsp Sazon con Azafran
- 1 tsp Onion powder
- 1 tsp Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp Mexican Oregano
- 2 TBPS Honey
- 2 ¾ cups Long grain rice
- 2 ½ – 3 cups water
3-4 Quart Pan: Making this dish in a pan
- This can be made in two ways, either using a rice cooker such as the Zojirashi, or in a pan.
- I will describe the pan approach first, then the rice cooker.
- In a 3-4 quart pan, place the EVOO over moderate low heat. When hot enough add the sofrito.
- Once this mixture is well mixed, and cooked down, turn off the heat and set aside.
- Measure out the rice and place in a fine mesh strained and rinse very well.
- Add the honey and pour in the water, then add the rice. Mix, then cover the pot.
- Cook the rice for ~ 15 minutes until the rice is cooked.
Zojirushi: Making this dish in a rice cooker.
- Make the sofrito and pigeon pea mixture as described above. Once cooked set it aside.
- In the Zojirushi, put in water enough for 2 1/2 cups of rice. The extra liquid from the mixture will replace the lower water amount.
- Add the honey, mixture and the rice to the Zojirushi bowl and mix well.
- Put the rice cooker setting on white rice and cook