I have only done 1 previous tortilla pinwheel. However, these pinwheels are a great appetizers. I use honey baked ham, which I love. Purchase a good quality ham and bake it using a glaze. I like my ham done until it becomes a dark brown on the surface. Sliced thinly this type of ham works great for sandwiches, with fried eggs and in this pinwheel.
Honey baked ham and cheese in tortilla pinwheels
- 4 Ounces Cream cheese (Philadelphia brand)
- 1 cup Sharp cheddar cheese grated
- ¼ cup Parmesan reggiano Cheese finely grated
- 2 ounces Roasted red peppers drained and diced
- 1 Garlic clove crushed through a garlic press
- 2 tbsp Mayonnaise
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ lb Honey Baked ham finely diced
- 2-4 Tortillas, home made or storebought
- Paprika, sweet as needed
- Place the cream cheese in the microwave and heat until very spreadable. Watch this carefully, you do not want to "cook" the cream cheese.
- Add the sharp cheddar cheese, parmesan reggiano cheese, roasted red peppers, garlic clove, mayonnaise, black pepper, honey baked ham. Mix this well.
- Lay the tortillas on a clean flat surface. Spread the cream cheese mixture over the tortilla. You can use an offset spatula. Divide the cream cheese mixture to fill 2-4 tortillas (it depends on tortilla size).
- Spread the filling over about 2/3rds of the tortilla and almost to the edges.
- Roll the tortilla up tightly, but not so tight you are squeezing out the filling.
- Moisten the edge of the tortilla to seal the toll. Then cut into about ½ inch thickness.
- Place these on a serving platter and into the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- When you serve sprinkle paprika over the top of each of the pinwheels.
- You can also use sliced olives, capers or anchoives as a topping on the pinwheels.