These are easy to make, impressive and your guests will love them. They are finger food, easy to pick up, and just a small bite each, an amuse bouche. The crepe batter is from my blog on sweet crepes, so it is a all-purpose flour crepe without the sweetness. The filling here is savory not sweet, but the crepe batter without the sugar is the way to go. However, I found that a crepe made with this batter without added spices a little bland. So I have added spices to the batter that helps up the taste. This recipe would be great for a tailgate party. These can be topped with paprika, capers, olive slices or anchoives. In the picture above, I did paoprika, olives and capers.
Crepe Wheels with Mushroom and Cheese Filling
- 3 large eggs
- 1 ¼ cups Whole milk
- 2 TBSP unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup King Arthur All-Purpose Flour
- ½ tsp Sea Salt
- 1 tsp Basil, dried
- ½ tsp Thyme ground
- ½ tsp Chives, fresh or dried
- ¼ tsp Paprika, sweet
- 1 TBPS unsalted butter
- 4 ounces Button mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 small shallot finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove finely chopped
- 2 ounces Gorgonzola Dolce blue cheese, room temperature
- 4 ounces Philadelphia cream cheese, room temperature
- ½ tsp Ground white papper
- ¼ tsp Basil dried
- Salt to taste
- In a bowl combine the eggs milk and melted butter.
- In a seperate bowl, combine the flour, salt, basil, thyme, chives and paprika. Whisk well.
- Pour the liquid mixture into the dry, whisk this well. It should be the consistency of pancake batter, a bit less thick.
- Cover the bowl and place in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Once the batter has sat for a good 30 minutes, remove from the refrigerator.
- In a fry pan, melt the butter. When hot add the mushrooms and fry until the moisture begins to seep from the mushrooms.
- Add the shallots and garlic.
- When the mushrooms are cooked and the shallots and garlic are fragrant, take off the burner and let cool.
- Place the Gorgonzola Dolce and cream cheese in a bowl. Place in the microwave for about 20 seconds. Just enough so you can easily mix them together.
- Mix the mushrooms with the cheese mixture. Add the white pepper and salt.
- Taste and add more seasoning as needed.
- Once the filling is well mixed, place in the refrigerator for a good hour. This will firm up the cheese mixture, so it will spread much easier.
Cooking and Assembly
- Using a crepe pan, pour about 4 ounces of batter onto the hot pan.
- Cook one side of the crepe until it just begins to brown, then flip the crepe and cook the second side. Again just until it begins to brown.
- Remove the crepe and place on a plate. You may stack the crepes as you make them. This recipe will make 2-3 more crepes than you need, but you can use them for breakfast crepes.