This recipe is a take on the classic Columbian Arepas and Cheese. The classic recipe uses a bland cheese, and I prefer something with more flavor, which is why I suggest Emmenthaler or the other cheeses, such as Parmesan Reggiano (probably my most favorite cheese in the world). If you prefer a less strong cheese flavor, use a simple Monterey Jack cheese. This recipe will be found in the first volume of the book series.
Arepas Stuffed with Cheese
- 8 Plain Arepas fried See the recipe on this site
- ¾ cup Emmethaler, Jarlsberg or similar cheese shredded
- ¼ cup Parmesan Reggiano cheese finely grated.
- Cooking Spray such as PAM
- When the arepas have been fried, see Arepas-Plain, cut them in half or open them up as you would a pocket.
- Mix the two cheeses in a bowl.
- Fill the Arepas with the cheeses.
- Spray a saute pan with the PAM cooking spray.
- Re-Fry with the cheese mixture. Fry on low until the cheese melts.