This recipe results in an unusual shape, the “Beggars Purse”. Further the dough is a raised yeast dough, which adds lots of flavor to these packets. The chicken can be roasted and then shredded, again which adds extra flavor. This is a great dumpling, good finger food, and a great addition to a Tailgate or other event.
Triple Crown Chicken Rolls
- 2 cups King Arthur All-Purpose Flour
- 1 ½ tsp Rapid active yeast
- 1 ½ tsp Kosher salt
- ⅔ cup warm water
- 1 TBS EVOO
- ¾ cup Finely shredded chicken
- 3 TBS Parmesan Reggiano cheese grated
- ⅓ cup Monterey Jack Cheese grated
- ½ Vidalia or sweet onion diced
- 1 garlic clove minced
- ½ cup BBQ sauce, see below
- ¾ cup Brown Sugar
- ¾ cup ketchup
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup water
- 1 ½ tsp Worchestershire sauce
- 4 tsp dry mustard
- 1 tsp paprika, sweet
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- ¾ tsp Fresh Ground Black Pepper
- ¼ tsp Cholula Hot Sauce
- Unsalted butter, melted
- Maldron salt enough to sprinkle over the rolls.
- In a stand mixer with a dough hook, mix the flour, yeast and salt well.
- Add the water and mix with the dough hook, then add the lil.
- Mix until a dough ball forms.
- Move the ball to a clean floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic.
- Place the dough ball in an oiled bowl.
- Place in the refrigerator overnight, for at least 18 hours.
- The dough should rise to double in size.
- In a bowl place the shredded chicken, cheeses, onion, garlic and BB! sauce. Mix well.
- Place the brown sugar, ketchup, red wine vinegar, water, worchestershire sauce, dry mustard, paprika, salt, pepper and hot sauce, mix well.
Assembly and cooking
- When the dough has raised to double, remove to a floured clean flat surface and punch down.
- Roll out the dough into a 14 x 12 inch rectangle about ¼ inch thick.
- Plae 1 ½ cups of the chicken mixture in the middle of the square, andbring the edges up into a Beggar's Purse shape.
- Smooth over the top of the purse, making a round filled ball shape.
- Using the melted butter, grease a 9×9 inch pyrex baking dish.
- Place the balls in the baking dish.
- Brush the tops with melted butter and sprinkle with theMaldron salt.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 20-30 minutes until golden brown
- Remove from the heat and place on a rack to cool.