At the Gallop Corn and Beef Pockets
Originally from the Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico, this is my take on the classic “Guanimos” recipe. These can be cooked the day of the Tailgate, or even before. They can be served at room temperature, or warm if you have that ability.
- 1 green bell pepper, green, chopped
- 1 Serrano chili chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 sprig of parsley chopped
- 1 sprig of cilantro chopped
- 1 lb 90/10 ground beef minced
- 1 TBS Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 cup canned or homemade tomato sauce
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- ½ tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 2 Cups fine ground cornmeal
- ¼ tsp ground anise seeds
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 cup coconut milk, unsweetened
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup black raisins
- 1 package banana leaves*
- cotton twine
- Banana Ketchup*
- In a food processor place the bell pepper, serrano chili, onion, garlic, parsley, cilantro, salt and pepper
- Place the meat in a bowl and add the processed bell pepper mixture.
- Place the EVOO in a fry pan and fry the meat mixture until browned.
- Add the tomato sauce and simmer, reducing the sauce down until thickened.
- Add the salt and pepper, taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Set aside the filling
- Mix well the cornmeal, salt and anise seeds well.
- Combine the coconut milk and honey combine with the dry ingredients. Add the raisins and mix well.
- Pat the cornmeal dough into flat rectangles.
- Wash banana leaves, dry and cut into 8×8 inch squares. You can use corn husks instead of banana leaves.
- Place one cornmeal "patty" in the middle of each banana leaf square and flatten it out wo about ⅛ to ¼ inch thick.
- Place ¼ cup of the filling in on top of the cornmeal patty.
- Fold over and wrap into a roll and tie tightly with twine.
- Steam the tamales for 30 minutes
- Serve with plain ketchup or Banana Ketchup.
You can use corn husks as an alternative to banana leaves. The Banana Ketchup can be purchased online or in Asian Groceries. It can also be home made. There is a recipe for DIY Banana Ketchup in the first volume of the book series coming out in 2022.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!