At the Gallop Corn and Beef Pockets
- 1 green bell pepper, green, chopped
- 1 Serrano chili chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 sprig of parsley chopped
- 1 sprig of cilantro chopped
- 1 lb 90/10 ground beef minced
- 1 TBS Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 cup canned or homemade tomato sauce
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- ½ tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 2 Cups fine ground cornmeal
- ¼ tsp ground anise seeds
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 cup coconut milk, unsweetened
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup black raisins
- 1 package banana leaves*
- cotton twine
- Banana Ketchup*
- In a food processor place the bell pepper, serrano chili, onion, garlic, parsley, cilantro, salt and pepper
- Place the meat in a bowl and add the processed bell pepper mixture.
- Place the EVOO in a fry pan and fry the meat mixture until browned.
- Add the tomato sauce and simmer, reducing the sauce down until thickened.
- Add the salt and pepper, taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Set aside the filling
- Mix well the cornmeal, salt and anise seeds well.
- Combine the coconut milk and honey combine with the dry ingredients. Add the raisins and mix well.
- Pat the cornmeal dough into flat rectangles.
- Wash banana leaves, dry and cut into 8×8 inch squares. You can use corn husks instead of banana leaves.
- Place one cornmeal "patty" in the middle of each banana leaf square and flatten it out wo about ⅛ to ¼ inch thick.
- Place ¼ cup of the filling in on top of the cornmeal patty.
- Fold over and wrap into a roll and tie tightly with twine.
- Steam the tamales for 30 minutes
- Serve with plain ketchup or Banana Ketchup.