There are delicious, tart (from the apples), cheesy (from the blue cheese) and savory from the other added ingredients. They are small bite sized pieces that work great for a party or a Tailgate! The picture above is filling the tartlets with a scoop of filling, but leaving them in the original plastic container to prevent cracking and breakage. We took these to our October 23rd Tailgate .. delicious!
Secretariat Apple Nut and Cheese Tartlets
- 2 tsp unsalted butter
- 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored and finely chopped
- 1 Vidalia or sweet onion diced finely
- ¼ cup Yellow raisins
- ½ tsp Kosher Salt
- ¼ tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1 Cup Gorgonzola Dolce Blue Cheese, crumbled
- 1 package of Pepperidge Farms phyllo tart shells (1.9 oz)
- 15 Walnut halves
- 1 TBS thinly sliced chives
- Place the butter in a saute pan over moderate low heat.
- Add the apple and onion. Cook until the apple is soft and onion is fragrant.
- Add the raisins, salt and cinnamon. Continue to cook until fragrant.
- Remove from the heat and add the walnuts and cheese, mix well.
Assembly and Cooking
- Carefully fill the shells with the filling and place on a parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bake the shells until they begin to lightly brown about 15 minutes.
- Once cooked, remove from the oven, and place a 1/2 walnut piece on each tartlet.
- Sprinkle with the chives.